Monday 7 May 2012

British Design 1948-2012: Innovation in the Modern Age or just a trip down memory lane?

The latest design exhibition at the V&A showcases the very best of British design and creativity from the last 60 years. Much innovation has occurred in the years between London’s 1948 ‘Austerity Olympics’ and the games to be held in London this summer, and that was keenly reflected in more than 350 items on display.

Peter Saville, Jonathan Ive, Terence Conran, Mary Quant, Vivienne Westwood, David Bowie, John Piper and Henry Moore were just some of the many names that caught my eye - names, products, buildings and influences that have been in and around my design consciousness throughout my life.

I saw objects that, when I was younger, I didn’t even think of as design – motorway signage by Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert and the Trimphone my godmother had that was ‘way cooler’ than our old BT phone. I looked on with a nostalgic smile at the iMac G3 – I saved hard for that! - and with envy at a very comprehensive collection of Habitat catalogues. I’ve always loved interior design and my collection starts with 1980.









There too was Conran kitchenware that, in our household, met its demise at an unauthorized car boot sale – my mum still hasn’t forgiven me for selling it. Also making an appearance, the Factory Records album covers and Hacienda promotions from my time at Poly in Manchester – the less said about that the better!

So, a trip down memory lane? Yes, absolutely! But above all I left the V&A with a real sense of pride at such a variety of exciting, interesting, groundbreaking and iconic design. It had all originated here in the UK over the last 60 years and continues to influence many aspects of our everyday lives.

Here’s to the next 60!
Go along and see how many times you gasp “Oh, I remember that!”

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-british-design/
 
Posted by Anna









No comments :