Thursday 17 January 2013

Shhh…. Sorry I can’t keep quiet any longer!

si·lence
1. an absence of any sound or noise; stillness.
2. the state or fact of being silent.

When Selfridges first opened its doors back in 1909, the founder, one Harry Gordon Selfridge created a Silence Room where busy shoppers were able to "retire from the whirl of bargains and the build up of energy". Fast-forward over 100 years and now more than ever, the busy shopper would surely welcome a break from a hectic day of perusal and purchasing… wouldn’t they?
As part of their ‘No Noise Initiative’, Selfridges have done just that. Designed by Alex Cochrane Architects, this “reincarnation of the Silence Room” promised “an insulated inner-sanctum, shielded from the noise and human traffic of the store.” Respite from the chitter-chatter and visual noise. After a few hours on the retail treadmill I was looking for just that.

Being greeted by a friendly, calming face and the suggestion that I might want to remove my shoes and leave my “21st centaury gadgets” in the locker, I headed inside. Following the corridor round, the dark carpet was illuminated by floor level spots peeping out from beneath wood paneled walls; I was guided to The Silence Room.

The room was a rectangular space with continuous box seating around the walls -  each seat covered in a thick felt pad. I lay back to and tried to relax. Ahhh… immediately my mind started to pick up on the sounds coming from outside! Was that the clatter of crockery from the café nearby? Could I hear chatter from excited shoppers? Although muffled, it was very evident and totally distracting. It was most definitely NOT the silence and escapism I had been promised!

Unable to lie there any longer I left, gathering my belongings and headed out into the bright lights, colour and excitement of the store. It was good to be back.

I certainly can’t knock the idea, the expansion into talks and experiences offered by Headspace I love; I was just disappointed by the execution. If you are going to ‘do’ simplicity, peace, silence, you need to do it absolutely… to give the shopper a truly silent experience.

Posted by Anna Ecuyer

1 comment :

Helen Sanderson said...

You can create a beautiful silent room, but if it is in the wrong location then hustle and bustle with still intrude. I do think that silence or just quiet are becoming rarer and more valuable things to enjoy.
Come and chat more to us at we'd love to know what you think http://www.facebook.com/MinistryOfCalm and http://quietrooms.co.uk/ Helen Sanderson