Monday 21 March 2011

It doesn't Costa lot!

Customer experience is a fickle thing – it’s tough to pick out the highs and the lows; sometimes you know full well that service could be better (say, at a Supermarket check out – whatever you do, never make eye contact!) and sometimes you know that it doesn’t get much better (in this instance, an online experience with one of the big ones like Amazon, who seem to know what you’re thinking and when you’re thinking it – has spending money ever been so painless?).

Well, this morning – which incidentally is a beautiful early Spring morning in Southampton for which I am completely inappropriately dressed – I realised what good customer service means to me. I got off my bus, I wandered like a robot into West Quay and I stood in the queue at Costa Coffee, behind a delightful ‘mature’ lady who was as impressed with the day as I was. From behind the counter, the rather tall, robust and cheerful ‘Barista’ chirped “Good morning Sir, the usual…. large decaf Mocha?”

Now, for a second I was slightly confused and looked behind me, too eager to be angry that someone later to the Costa line was being served ahead of me (how British!). But, no, I realised he was talking to me and I nervously replied “Yes, please…great!”. As the Barista turned away I’m convinced I saw a slight ‘corner-of-the-mouth’ giggle, but that’s OK. He remembered me, he remembered my order and he made me feel that the rest of the day had a lot to live up to.

Kindness, care and attention are simple concepts and yet, when administered well, they mean more than the product or service you’re receiving. Of course, there will be the cynics who will say, “…well maybe you’re just buying too much coffee”, which, of course, is a possibility. But I don’t care, because the Costa man knew me, knew my drink and he made me smile.

That’s 1-0 to great Customer Service – and it’s only 08.30.

Posted by Simon Dover


No comments :